Whiplash injury symptoms are caused mostly during motor vehicle accidents most commonly which cannot be ignored. Depending upon its sign and symptom we should be aware when to go to whiplash injury clinic or we should treat at home by self.
In this post we will discuss the common ideas regarding whiplash injury of the neck and when to seek for the doctor or related clinic
What is Whiplash Injury?
Whiplash is a neck injury due to a motor vehicle accident. It is due to the forceful and rapid back-and-forth movement of the neck while driving or traveling on the vehicle.
In general terms, it can also be said as a Neck sprain or a Neck Sprain because the neck muscles, ligaments, and tendons are sprained and strained.
whiplash typically is not a threatening injury entity, but there can prolonged period of partial disability if not treated properly
Cause of whiplash Injury of Neck
It is commonly not only caused by rear-end car accidents, it can also be caused by sports accidents, physical abuse, fall from height and other traumas as well.
When there is a rear impact in a vehicle or car, the head and neck are forced to moves backward(hyperextension) position and then after the head and neck again thrown Forward (hyper flexed) position. This causes straining over the neck muscle and structures.
In this, the muscle, ligaments, and tendons are sprained or sprain when there is the movement of the neck forward and backward. When there is the involvement of bone structure and nerve lying these structured are involved they are said to be a serious condition
Most people with whiplash get better within a few weeks by following a treatment plan that includes pain medication and exercise. However, some people have chronic neck pain and other long-lasting complications.
20 Whiplash Injury Symptoms
When you have this injury there will be pain over the neck during the movement most commonly. Some of the listed 20 whiplash injury symptoms and signs are as follows
- Neck Pain spreading to the arm
- Tender over Neck
- limited range of motion.
- Sometimes may have hand numbness
- Swelling over Neck
- Pain in the shoulder and arms
- Neck stiffness
- pain during the neck movement
- Headache at base of the skull
- Tingling and numbness over the arms and hand
- Feeling of Fatigue
- Dizziness for a certain period of time
Some rare symptoms of Whiplash may not be most commonly seen. When there can be the chronic type of injury or severe injury on can have these following whiplash injury symptoms
- Ear ringing (tinnitus)
- Blurring vision of Eye
- Ringing in the ears (tinnitus)
- Irritability and Sleep disturbances
- Can also have Memory problems
- Depression problems
- Unable to raise hands (when nerve injury)
- Bruises (bluish patches) over Neck (due to muscle tear)
When to go whiplash injury clinic or doctor?
Whiplash injury is often ignored or mistreated due to a lack of proper knowledge of the conditions. Minor sprain or strain is being recovered easily within a certain span of time.
But sometimes if you get severe injuries and got above mentioned rare whiplash injury symptoms then you need to see the respective doctor or seek the whiplash injury clinic.
And should have proper treatment by consulting with the doctors. These are dealt with by the musculoskeletal doctor’s team which includes orthopedic doctors, neurosurgery doctors, and physiotherapy doctors.
Failure and lacking proper education and counseling regarding the whiplash can lead to chronic psychosocial symptoms like depression and anxiety as well
- Whiplash Injury is one of the common entity for the motor vehicle accident which cannot be ignored
- If the whiplash injury symptoms didn’t subside within few days or if have any rare symptoms it’s a need to seek the whiplash injury clinic or must consult the respective musculoskeletal doctor’s team
- Medical treatment is needed for the whiplash injury symptoms if it doesn’t subside in a certain time